Identify your symptom, Find your cause, Treat your case
My name is David Florendale. I used to pick my skin. I suffered from a disorder called Compulsive Skin Picking (or Dermatillomania).
When I first decided to stop picking, I didn’t even know there’s a name to it. That was in 2003. I’ve been researching this disorder ever since.
Chances are that if you’re reading these words, you have this disorder. If you want to stop picking, I might be able to help you.
How to stop picking?
Most common question I’m being asked is: “how to stop picking my skin?”. You’re probably asking the same question. And it’s a good thing. Most people don’t.
People who suffer from it do a good job hiding it. They usually are very secretive about their compulsion, and often don’t seek help, sometimes not even knowing what’s wrong with them. The result is that Compulsive Skin Picking is much more common than you would think. For example: as much as 4% of all college students have picking compulsions. That’s a huge number of people, to name only one demographic.
Since sufferers don’t reach out for help, not much is known about this disorder. It gets little attention from scientists and doctors in terms of research. There's almost no literature on this subject. And there’s currently no pill that can cure it.
However, there are few treatment methods that work.
The most important decision you’re going to make if you want to stop picking is in choosing the right treatment method. No method fits everyone. Choosing the right method depends on your specific symptoms (ways of picking) and the initial cause of your disorder.
Which brings me to the second most common question I’m being asked…
…why am I picking my skin?
Picking compulsions are psychological in nature. Just think about it – you’re doing it to yourself, no one forces you. Some inner force takes over your body, and it is often stronger than your will power.
Compulsive picking could be a symptom of a deeper distress taking place inside you. Often treating the symptoms is not enough – you need to address the cause.
Common causes of compulsive skin picking are:
- Stress, anxiety and other psychological factors.
- Neurological imbalance caused by overloading stress to the nervous system.
- Chemical imbalance.
- Traumatic events, particularly in childhood.
- Heredity (oftentimes it runs in the family).
..these are only to name a few. All the causes are interconnected and you can expect to identify a few of them in your case.
The Complete Guide to Compulsive Skin Picking Disorders
by David Florendale
By reading this book you will:
e-book in all formats
for MAC, PC, Kindle, iPad, mobile
- Learn about the treatment methods that work.
- Get to know different therapy systems that have proven effective in treating compulsive picking.
- Find out when to use medication, and when to avoid it.
- Learn about different variations of compulsive picking, different kinds of symptoms and areas of body affected.
- Find comprehensive explanations about your specific symptoms.
- Understand the nature of people who are prone to developing this disorder.
- Learn about all the possible causes of the disorder, viewed from different scientific and medical approaches.
- Be guided through the process of choosing the best therapist for your specific case (if you’re willing and able to attend therapy).
- Learn effective coping strategies that will assist you along the way to recovery.
- Understand the nature of compulsive behaviors and get acquainted with similar disorders (that fall under same scope with compulsive skin picking).
- Learn about treating compulsive picking in children.
- Discover practical tips about how to identify the disorder in others and how to approach them.
What You Will Get
TABLE OF CONTENTS
Author’s note 3
GENERAL INFORMATION 6
- What is Compulsive Skin Picking? 6
- Symptoms 7
- Who Develops CSP 9
- Descriptions of Picking Episodes 11
- Variations of CSP 13
- Neurotic Excoriation 13
- Psychogenic Excoriation 14
- Acne Excoriee 15
- Body Areas Affected 17
- Face 18
- Scalp 19
- Lips and Cheeks 20
- Arms, Legs, Chest, and Back 22
- Nose 23
- Cuticles and Nails 24
- Causes of Compulsive Skin Picking 25
- Psychological 25
- Neurological 27
- Medical 27
- Childhood Environment 29
- Heredity 30
- Compulsive Skin Picking Triggers 31
UNDERSTANDING COMPULSIVE BEHAVIORS 34
- Psychodermatology 35
- CSP as Obsessive-Compulsive Behavior 35
- CSP as Impulse Control Disorder 36
- CSP as Body Dysmorphic Disorder 37
- CSP as Addiction 38
- CSP as Masochism / Self-Harm Disorder 39
TREATMENT OPTIONS 41
- Will Power Does Not Work 41
- Healing Mind and Spirit 42
- Cognitive Therapy 43
- Substitution Therapy 44
- Behavioral Therapy 46
- Existential Therapy 47
- Hypnosis 48
- Habit Reversal 49
- Group Therapy 50
- Healing the Body 51
- Dermatology 51
- Neurology 53
- Balancing Body Chemistry 54
- Choosing the Best Therapist 55
- Psychiatrist 56
- Psychotherapist 56
- Psychodermatologist 57
- Coping Strategies 58
- Self Acceptance 58
- Relationships 59
- Social Disclosures 60
- Therapeutic Disclosures 61
RECOGNIZING CSP IN OTHERS 63
- CSP in Your Children 63
- CSP in Others 65
- Recognizing CSP 65
- Discussing CSP 66
APPENDIX: TREATMENT PROVIDERS 68
100% Money Back Guarantee
I’m sure you will benefit from the guide and it will help you stop your picking. That’s why I’m offering you this: You will get a full refund on your payment via paypal if the book doesn’t stand up to your expectations. Just contact me
within 60 days of the purchase with a refund request. You will be provided with a full refund.
I paid for the ebook, but I didn't get it. How do I get it?
You were supposed to get redirected to the download page by paypal. However, if you missed that step, just contact me, and I'll immediately send you the download link.
What devices are supported?
The book is provided in all major e-book formats, so you can easily read it on any computer (PC or Mac) and any mobile device.
Can I get this book in a physical form, and not as an e-book?
Yes. This book is available in paperback. You can buy it on Amazon. However, we recommend buying the electronic version (e-book) from us directly using the BUY NOW button above or below. It's considerably cheaper and more eco-friendly !
Can you guarantee I will stop picking if I read this book?
I cannot guarantee such a thing. If there was some magic cure, I would be happy to reveal it, but such a cure doesn't exist. However, if you read this book you will educate yourself on this topic, and will know what to do to effectively cope with this disorder.
If you’re unsure about the purchase, and there’s some way I can help you decide, please ask me one question.