Online Therapy Program for Compulsive Skin Picking
If you suffer from Dermatillomania (also known as “skin picking” or “excoriation disorder”), and you decided to do something about it, you’re in the right place.
We used our years of experience in serving the skin picking community, performed extensive research of the current treatment possibilities, and created an interactive online therapy program, based on CBT (cognitive behavioral therapy). It’s an 8 weeks program. During those 8 weeks you participate in interactive sessions, and get full support from a qualified therapist, who will lead you through all the steps of the program.
A Short Video Explaining About The Program:It has sound - you might want to turn volume down, or use headphones, for privacy.
Evidence Based Therapy That Works
CBT (Cognitive Behavioral Therapy) is the most effective method to date, to treat compulsive skin picking. It is the method of choice that is primarily used by expert therapists worldwide, who specialize in treating this disorder.
Get the Professional Guidance You Need
Your case is unique – you have your own specific symptoms and needs – and it’s important to personalize treatment. That’s why you will get a personal therapist, who will lead you through the program, and give you support every step of the way.
All our therapists are qualified and licensed professionals, specializing in treating skin picking and related disorders, and experienced in using CBT for treatment.
Maintain Your Privacy
The program takes place 100% online, which means you can participate from the privacy of your own home, without the need to visit a therapist’s office.
Communication with therapist is text based, via secure worksheets – which particularly fits people who don't like the idea of opening up to a therapist, face to face.
Affordable – a Fraction of the Cost of Traditional Face-to-Face Therapy
One of the main reasons we developed this program is to help those who cannot afford traditional face to face therapy. Indeed, 8 weeks access to the program with your own qualified therapist costs what you would pay for about 2 hours of traditional face-to-face therapy.
Moreover, studies show that online therapy based on CBT is not less effective than traditional face-to-face therapy.
Access Anytime, from Anywhere, on Any Device
It’s a 100% online program, which means you can participate from anywhere, anytime. There’s no need to schedule sessions, or travel to therapists’ office, which will save you time. You can access the program from any device (PC/MAC, smartphones, iPad etc).
You’re in Safe Hands
Your privacy is our top priority. This is why special care is taken to secure your information. You are of course guarded by therapist-client privilege (which is a confidentiality agreement, meaning that nothing you share will be disclosed by the therapist to any third party).
Some of the Coping Techniques You Will Learn
- How to be more aware of your picking, by recognizing and understanding your behaviors
- How to minimize picking by replacing it with alternative behaviors
- How to minimize picking by reducing triggers in your environment
- Discover your values, learn the costs of skin picking and gains to be made if picking is reduced/stopped
- Learn how to stop controlling your urges and start accepting them
- Learn how to distance yourself from your thoughts and urges
- Set life goals based on your values, learn to live your life to the fullest, improve your life in general (not just the picking)
- How does it work? The program is comprised of 8 sessions, each session takes about 1 hour to complete. We recommend completing one session per week, although you can progress with your own pace.
- How do I communicate with the therapist? Each session contains worksheets, relevant to session material. After you fill in the worksheets, your therapist reviews your input, and provides feedback. There are no limitations on how to use the worksheets - they can be used to strictly address the relevant issues, or to have an open discussion.
- How much time do I need to spend each week? Each session takes about 1 hour to complete. The rest of the time you communicate with the therapist. The time spent varies - some clients spend only a few minutes on the worksheets, some can spend a few hours a week, discussing relevant issues with the therapist.
- Do I need special computer skills? No, no special technical skills are needed. The program is very intuitive and easy to use. In any case our helpful administrative staff is always there to guide you through any technical difficulties you might have.
- Can I stop halfway into the program, and continue at a later date? Yes, simply notify us that you're stopping the program, and you can continue at a later stage, anytime you chose.
- Can I use the program after the 8 weeks are over? Yes, you can view session materials and communicate with your therapist for additional 8 weeks, after the first 8 weeks are over. Which essentially means you get access to our service for 16 weeks.
- Can I change therapist in the middle of the program? Yes, if for any reason you'd like to be assigned a different therapist, simply contact us.
- Can I combine this program with current treatment I'm undergoing with my doctor/therapist? Yes. In this case we recommend you let your current therapist know you're using the program.
- Do you prescribe or recommend the use of specific medications? We don't recommend nor do we prescribe specific medications. In case you are currently taking medications, or you're planning to start taking medications, we recommend consulting your doctor/psychiatrist. Medication use is not addressed by the program.
- Why CBT (cognitive behavioral therapy)? CBT is the treatment of choice for Body Focused Repetitive Behaviors such as skin picking. It is the most effective method today to treat skin picking.
SkinPick's Online Therapy Program - Mentioned in the News
User Reviews and TestimonialsWe emailed our ongoing clients, asking to provide feedback about the program. We asked two questions:
1. How do you sum up your experience with the program so far?
2. Would you recommend it to others who suffer from skin picking?
Here are the replies we got:
"Even though I did not complete the program yet (I'm on session 4), I think it is working for me. The content of the sessions is rich and interesting, and provides me with a lot of useful information about the skin picking disorder, and of course about the treatment strategies. I also find the therapist's help useful - some of the concepts introduced in the content are rather hard to comrehend, and my therapist helped me with the difficult parts. Overall it is a surprisingly good program for me, and I'm looking forward to completing the rest of the sessions. I would definitely recommend this to anyone who suffers from the same."
[Skin picker for 13 years]
"It is great to be able to do from home. Weekly sessions are a good idea, give enough time for the last session to get assimilated. Each week has enough covered, to think about and try out, but not too much, so that it is doable. I would suggest SkinPick's program as a good learning environment to anyone who wants to understand and change their picking behaviors."
[Skin Picker for 8 years]
"Actually I've been suffering from this disorder most of my life. I tried going to therapists, both talk therapists and CBT. And that actually helped other areas of my life, but it never helped with my picking. I suspect the reason is that these therapists didn't treat picking specifically. Whereas this program is focused on skin picking. And I actually stopped picking almost completely since I started the program! I have to confess that I wasn't using the worksheets as needed (I skip it mostly), but the material covered in the sessions is most useful! I'm certailnly more aware of my picking now, and I found the habit reversal sessions very usefuil (specifically the tips about switching the action with something else, and taking notice of environmental factors).
Would I recommend it to someone? I think I would. Especially for this price, it's a no brainer. Whereas I think that maybe going to meet an expert would be more efficient for some people. But then again, it would cost much much more. And you'd have to find one! (Which I wasn't able to find in my area).
I'm certainly happy I found your program. Thanks!"
[Skin picker for 17 years]
"I've tried different things over the years to deal with my picking, but nothing was really effective. I decided to give your program a try, because it seemed innovative and promising. I haven't yet completed the program (I'm midway), but I can already say it is more effective than anything I've tried in the past. "
[Skin Picker for 16 years]
"First, let me tell you I'm so happy I found your website and enrolled in the program. I have been following you for a few years now, and when I heard you created the progam, I immediately joined.
It is well structured into sessions, each session dealing with a specific aspect of the disorder and of treatment. There are a lot of practical tips which I find very useful when dealing with my picking. But the best part is of course being able to discuss my issues with the therapist. I don't think I would've gained as much as I did if it wasn't for her. She's so compassionate and professional, and I'm discussing many other issues with her (some are directly related to dermatillomania, others are totally unrelated). Bottom line is that my life got better since I started the progarm. And I certainly recommend it to anyone who is looking for help to deal with dermatillomania."
[Skin Picker for 25 years]