The Annual TLC Conference on Body-Focused Repetitive Behaviors
The wait is over! The TLCs Annual Conference on Body-focused Repetitive Behaviors is April 8-11, 2021, and this year, #BFRBcon is going virtual! You’ll be able to attend from the safety of your home or office while learning about the latest in research, treatment, and living with a BFRB.
#BFRBcon is for anyone affected by trichotillomania, dermatillomania, and related behaviors, their family members, and clinicians and researchers working in the field of mental health. The only event of its kind, #BFRBcon brings together BFRB experts, community leaders, and changemakers to lead a weekend of education, support, and most importantly, healing.
For those living with a BFRB, this conference is about so much more than learning to not pick or pull. The conference is also about:
- learning to love yourself no matter where you are with your BFRB.
- gaining new insight into why you have a BFRB.
- making friends and building a community.
- loosening the grip of shame and embarrassment.
- And, for our younger attendees, it's about preventing those ugly feelings from even getting a grip in the first place.
The conference will include special programming for kids and teens, and parents.
What You Can Learn
This year’s conference schedule is packed with speakers from every area of the BFRB world including researchers, clinicians, and people living with a BFRB. Whether you’re seeking the latest in research, treatment options, or looking for personal enrichment, you’re sure to find just the right fit.
Some of the many topics to be covered in the sessions and workshops include:
- Understanding BFRBs
- Understanding and managing urges
- Dealing with shame
- Lifestyle management such as healthy eating and stress management practices such as meditation and yoga.
- Research updates and opportunities to ask the experts questions about research and treatment that you most want to know!
- Hear from people who live with a BFRB as they share with you their experience and tips for coping.
- Learn how creative therapies such as intuitive painting and drawing can help.
- Understand more about the mind-body connection and the power of meditation and practicing mindfulness.
- Opportunities for parents to connect and find helpful tips for addressing your child’s BFRB and supporting them through their recovery process.
In total, there are currently 65 live presentations planned along with more than 15 community discussion groups, meet-up rooms, and connection-building activities. Some sessions will be available in Spanish.
Sessions will be divided into categories to make it easier to find just what you’re looking for:
- Scientific Research: Includes phenomenology, etiology, maintenance, classification, and treatment of TTM, skin picking, and related BFRBs.
- Evidence-Based Treatments: Includes implementation of research-supported treatments & techniques for BFRBs and related or coexisting disorders.
- Personal Growth: Addresses common issues that one experiences while living with, or pursuing treatment for, a BFRB. These include self-help, emotional healing, and enhancing one's quality of life. These workshops should not be viewed as primary treatment interventions for BFRBs.
If you’re a mental health professional, you can earn up to 15 continuing education credits! Portions of the conference have been approved for continuing education credit for psychologists, LCSWs, MFTs, and other mental health professionals. Continuing education credit is available for clinicians from several disciplines including:
- Marriage and family therapists
- Creative arts therapists
- Social workers
- Chemical dependency counselors
- Occupational therapists
Licensing board CE regulations vary widely. Be sure to check with your board for any questions or concerns about this course meeting your specific board's requirements.
TLCs 2021 Virtual Conference on BFRBs has something for everyone. Registration is required. There are a limited number of scholarships available. Get more information or purchase tickets here: https://www.bfrb.org/find-help-support/events/annual-conference
Start your journey with SkinPick
Take control of your life and find freedom from skin picking through professional therapy and evidence-based behavioral techniques.Start Now