My experience with the program has been very rewarding and beneficial. In particular, I appreciated the compassionate responses and helpful feedback from the therapist. Her feedback was timely and constructive, and her responses often helped me to see the harming behavior in a different light, which helped to interrupt habitual patterns of thinking and acting. The awareness of the habit was itself beneficial, as was the practical and useful advice for competing responses and stimulus control.
This program is very specific and targeted to skin picking, and it did help in an observable way with that behavior. It also helped to see the link between my behavior and habits of mind, such as the desire for control or avoidance of uncomfortable feelings. This awareness provided benefits beyond simple habit change: Now I interpret the picking behavior as a signal of anxiety, avoidance, and the need for self-care. Reflecting on those triggers brings compassion and the possibility of a new response. I don't always choose the right response, and sometimes I still indulge in the behavior, but now I understand better that the behavior is a misguided attempt to meet a real need, and I know there is an alternative. One of the benefits of the online format is that it is available 24/7, so help is available when the urge to pick arises.
Past client, finished the program in Sep 2016
1) My experience was very beneficial. I am overjoyed to have found this website. It's been a challenge to find solutions and help for this disorder. I have felt very ashamed of the physical results of skin picking, feeling unattractive. Most people don't understand and think you can just stop. So finding a group of professionals that have expertise in this arena has been amazing for me. Getting to speak freely and anonymously has been liberating. The program from beginning to end is well designed and progresses quite naturally. I'm still a work in progress and but I have seen improvement and I have hope for the future. Lots of reflection and getting to the root of urges, lots of techniques to try. My therapist has been very helpful and patient with me. I enjoyed the way you communicate with your therapist.
2) I would strongly recommend this program for anyone dealing with this behavior!
Past client, finished the program in July 2016
I would recommend this program... it is really valuable as it helps us understand why we pick and the forum helps us interact with and support others with the same problem. I never understood why I picked before all these lessons. I also liked the worksheets and the detailed answers we had to give. I see a complete improvement in my skin-picking
Past client, finished the program in June 2016
very glad that I found this program. It certainly exceeded my expectations in completely unexpected ways. Overall, I found it to be very valuable, relateable and meaningful... It felt amazing to be understood - the sessions put words to what I had been feeling and wanting for a long time but not pursuing in a structured way.
Past client, finished the program in May 2016
The programme helped me identify the nature of my skin picking, as well as the triggers and feelings associated with the behaviour. It has equipped me with a variety of tools that have enabled me to overcome the behaviour. If relapses occur I know how to get back on track. I would definitely recommend the course to others.
Past client, finished the program in April 2016
1. I believe the program had some very good tips and strategies on how to manage skin picking behaviour. The responses to comments on the worksheets were always quick, helpful and much appreciated. I enjoyed that some of the sessions gave you things to work on for the week, for example practicing your competing response and implementing stimulus control. 2. Yes I would definitely recommend this program to anyone who would like some helpful strategies on how to overcome their skin picking behaviour.
Past client, finished the program in March 2016
1. Honestly , I got more out of the program than I thought I would . Since I had spent so many years picking my skin, I thought that I was already an "expert" and that I already knew what the "problem" was . As each session went along , and different aspects of my behavior (and behaviors in general) were explored , some really important insights sneaked up on me - and have definitely improved how I see myself and how to be better to myself. Even though the program is designed for a broad audience , the questions and responses are personal enough to really get to the heart of the matter . Everything is discussed in a frank , practical and non-judgemental manner , and that is much appreciated .
2. Yes. It definitely can't hurt and they may get something out of it.
Past client, finished the program in Feb 2016
1. My experience with Skin Pick program has been positive. I started it feeling excited that I had finally found something that can help me fix this problem or at the very least help me understand why I pick. I have definitely learnt a lot about myself and hope that by the end of this program I will have my picking under control.
2. I would recommend it to anyone who is looking for help with this behaviour. I did not have any other options where I come from and I would have had to explain too much to the therapist. Here, my therapist knows the problem already and there is a clear program in place.
Past client, finished the program in Jan 2016
I have learned a lot about myself and while I am still picking I feel a lot stronger emotionally. I am happy I took this course even though difficult at times. Yes I would suggest this program to others it is a subject matter hard to discuss face to face. I really felt comfortable talking like this.
Past client, finished the program in Dec 2015
I have been recommending this program and site since I discovered it. I find it to be the most informative and approachable for any user on the topics that revolve around dermatillomania. I would highly recommend this course to anyone looking to change their skin picking habits.
I was a curious skeptic when I first landed on this site. I have dermatillomania, and have struggled to understand it and stop it for over 20 years. I did not understand the correlation of my skin picking to OCD and your site opened my eyes. I read all the information in all the nooks and crannies and then with slight hesitation enrolled in the on-line therapy sessions. I found it easier to be open and honest with this program, more than a face to face therapy session. I was brutally honest here. To make this program work, for yourself, you have to be honest and sincere in your efforts. The awareness and changes do not happen overnight, every day has new challenges as well as new accomplishments. I constantly had to remind myself to think in single steps and to not run. I will always have to remind myself to slow down and acknowledge the small, single accomplishments day to day. Am I cured? No. But I am on the road to healthier skin, healthier thoughts and a healthier lifestyle that allows me to cope with and manage my OCD behaviors and my Dermatillomania. My therapist was caring and appreciative of my every effort. They posed questions to further my thought process along the way, and when I needed to take a step back and re do a few weeks, they were very supportive. There is now easy cure, no pill, no program that will solve any case of dermatillomania overnight or in a day. Your cure to dermatillomania is unique to you and only works if you are willing to put the daily effort into your individualized coping plan.
Past client, finished the program in Dec. 2015